Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

No, this wasn't a critical machine. I shouldn't have used the word
critical. It was my desktop machine, and there was stuff on there
that was important to me.

I haven't yet used any linux box for a critical server. I want to,
which is why I am posting all these arguments in favour of statics
(and also hopefully imparting a paranoid attitude about reliability).

This event was so impressive though, that it was at that point in
time that I believed Linux would eventually be viable on critical
production servers.

That was three years ago, and I am still waiting. RedHat and Slackware
haven't given me the confidence I need to run Linux on a critical server,
and I don't feel they ever will. Debian has potential--which is why I
am here whining about the things I consider unstable rather than on
some other Linux's list :-)

Debian has got a lot of the key things in place, such as a good
organization, a policy, a package manager with many strong points;
but I feel it is still a little lacking on the reliability side.

Please don't take this as a flame, I'm looking at this with a dry
eye while chomping at the bit waiting the day when I think it's viable.

Justin