Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Justin Wells wrote:

[ snip ]

 : Debian has got a lot of the key things in place, such as a good
 : organization, a policy, a package manager with many strong points;
 : but I feel it is still a little lacking on the reliability side.

I don't follow your argument.  You seem to be saying "Because high
relieability is important to me and a few others, all Debian installs
should use statically linked binaries in certain locations by default".
You are saying this by raising this as a policy issue.

Can't a "high-reliability" package be created which contains
statically-linked binaries?  I imagine such a package would need a
policy exemption for static linking, but who cares - that is the point
after all.

This way, people who crave static linking get it.  Those who don't,
never miss it.

Idea, or am I talking out of my ass?

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD