Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 05:15:21PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

> The point wasn't that rebooting is ok. The point was that the use of
> sash and a backup root disk does not involve rebooting. What I've been
> trying to get across is that there are ways to accomplish what you're
> after using tools that already exist under debian. You want to rearrange
> debian so it does things the way that other systems do them, because
> you're more familiar with those methods. That's fine for your system,
> but isn't sufficient justification for changing defaults that can
> already accomplish as much or more. If you want to argue that debian's
> documentation on these matters is lacking, I'll agree and I'm sure that
> any input would accepted. But I will not accept arguments that debian
> should change its procedure unless you can demonstrate a case where it
> fails when used correctly.

No spare root disk is installed by default. Sash is not installed by
default. You are asking me to go in and stick a boot floppy into a
machine that I might not be anywhere near.

If Debian guaranteed me a way to get at working binaries (such as on
a spare root disk) from remote then I would be happy.

Right now it doesn't.

My proposal is admittedly only one way to do it: the standard way, that
has been reliably used on many Unix systems over several decades. I'm
willing to accept another solution that is equivalent but different--such
as guaranteed access to a backup /lib with backup binaries that point
there.

Note that the backrup root solution could be extremely inconvenient, as
it wil require me to chroot, and then remount all my drives again
read-write in order to access them. I'm not sure that's sane, but
I'm willing to be convinced that there is a reasonable way to do this.

Justin