Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

Hi,

 Marek> * Michael Stone said:
 >> Immediately after it's loaded, LILO checks whether one of the following
 >> is happening:
 >>
 >> - any of the [Shift], [Control] or [Alt] keys is pressed.
 >> - [CapsLock] or [ScrollLock] is set.
 >>
 >> If this is the case, LILO displays the boot: prompt and waits for the
 >> name of a boot image (i.e. Linux kernel or other operating system).
 >> Otherwise, it boots the default boot image* or - if a delay has been
 >> specified - waits for one of the listed activities until that amount of
 >> time has passed.
 Marek> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^which is exactly 2 seconds on default Debian instal

        Are you sure? I think that the 2 second margin is for you to
 hit some key, and then it stops for an unspecified time. In other
 owrds, itr stops forever ;-)

 >> So the newbie has to hit *one* key during bootup, then you take as long
 >> as you need to explain the rest of the process. I don't consider *one
 Marek> Which is whole 2 seconds.

        I no longer havfe the default lilo.conf file, so I can't
 check, but unless I recall incorrectly, this happens not to be the
 case.

        Two seconds would be a bug -- there is little one can type in
 in that time (holding down a key is something else altogether)

        manoj

--
 Thus spake the master programmer: "When a program is being tested, it
 is too late to make design changes." Geoffrey James, "The Tao of