Re: history (Was Re: Corel/Debian Linux Installer)

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:

> and
> > / is readonly, var is readwrite. So /var MUST be a seperate
> > partition. Same with tmp (which symlink to /var/temp).
>
> having a separate partition for /tmp would be fine, but symlinking it
> is broken. it means that there is no /tmp directory available early in
> the boot process and when running in "emergency" boot mode or from the
> rescue disk.
>
> ok, it works 99% of the time.  it's still broken (and broken by design).

/tmp as symlink or /tmp as partition is the same and /tmp as partition
is allowed and suggested. During bootup the /tmp link will be as
broken as the unmounted partition. BUT when /tmp links to /var/temp,
one must make sure that /var/temp exists on / AND on var, so in an
emergency /var/temp on / will be used until /var is mounted.

> i agree with jason - if you try to automatically determine partition
> sizes then you will fail.

If you force them to use it YES, if you give hints NO.

> for most end-users, a single big / partition plus a swap partition is
> good enough. anyone who needs a different partitioning scheme can and

/, /var, /usr, swap as partitions, /tmp and /home as symlinks should be
suggested to the user as a minimum partitioning scheme. I say
suggested, not enforced. The reasons are stability and efficiency. The
documentation about partitioning the harddrive could also suggest
sizes that are calculated relative to the harddisks sizes. Again I say
suggest.

> should be assumed to know what they're doing. provide documentation,
> provide advice and discussions, provide rules of thumb and examples, but
> don't presume that any installer script can adequately decide upon a
> good partitioning scheme for any system.

The right partitioning scheme can only be suggested after 6 month test
run, so ext2fsresize needs to be written. :)

May the Source be with you.
                        Goswin