Re: Re^2: Debian Weekly News - August 10th, 1999

On Sat, Aug 14, 1999 at 11:26:00AM +0100, Marco Budde wrote:
> RdR>  I now suddenly understand why someone resigned recently.
> Yeah, I understand it too: we are working as slow as as authority :(.
> We have decided to use the FHS. So we have to change all packages till the
> freeze.

``Debian's too bureaucratic. But we must blindly follow a bit of paper,
no matter what the consequences! If you want us to differently, change
the bit of paper!''

Weird.

I mean, on one hand, sure. Having a document that codifies what we all agree
on is very cool --- when we're not sure of something we can consult twenty
or thirty people who actually know what they're talking about without even
having to disturb them. Policy's very cool.

But on the other hand, the issue has been extensively discussed without
any definite agreement being reached, it's explicitly been passed on to
the techincal committee for adjudication, and the DPL has made a public
request that developers take the least harmful of all the available
possibilities and use /usr/doc in the meantime.

Of course, on the other other hand, it's been a bit over a week now since
the tech ctte was asked for a ruling, with no word that I've seen. As far
as I can tell, the voting, discussion and so forth are meant to be made
public on the "technical committee mailing list", but the debian-ctte
and debian-ctte-private archives on master seem not to have anything
interesting to say.

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds