Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)

Hi.

I am a member of Debian JP Project and Debian Project.

In article <[🔎] 14283.59240.419338.29321F@lavender.ukai.org>
 ukai@debian.or.jp (Fumitoshi UKAI) writes:

> At 31 Aug 1999 08:38:47 +0200,
> Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> wrote:
>
> > > joey> Package: locale-ja
> > > Yes, We want glibc contains locale-ja.
> > > But, it is not yet.
> >
> > File a bug, let it flow upwards. We can have a temporary solution but
> > the above, without a bug, doesn't seem to be an atempt for a permanent
> > solution.
>
> FYI, This locale database is just dummy sets that setlocale() against "ja"
> locale returns without errors, so this is not the right "ja" locale
> database.  It's almost same as C locale.
> This is because glibc2.1 still does not have right locale system.
> It can not be used for multibyte charsets.  There are wroking group in
> Japan those who are now working with Ulrich Drepper to support multibyte
> charset more better.  After glibc2.1 has support right multibyte charsets,
> I hope we could provide right "ja" locale database.

I know at least one developer (maybe more than two) in Debian JP Project
works in that group to enhance glibc2.1 (or 2.2) for right multibyte locale
handling.

# just FYI.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>