Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 06:50:28PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

> > YOU people are the ones who want something different.  DON'T TRY TO
> > FORCE IT ON EVERYONE ELSE.
and
> > in plain and simple terms:
> >
> > do whatever you like with your own systems, but DO NOT FUCK WITH THE
> > DEBIAN DEFAULTS.
>
> I'm sorry, but I truly don't understand what exactly it is that you're
> shouting about,

are you really that thick or does it suit your argument to appear to not
understand? how much plainer could it possibly get???

> (in fact, my sole role in this discussion so far has been an attempt
> to avoid changing defaults).

to summarise and paraphrase your involvement:

"changing the defaults is a bad thing, so lets not do that. but it's
hard not to, so lets do it...unless we can avoid doing it by trying
<something that does not work>. oh dear, that doesn't work, doing it
properly is too hard so it looks like we'll have to change the defaults
after all."

you have repeatedly missed the point.  here it is again:

if you and/or others want static binaries and so on for some perceived
but as-yet-undemonstrated need then it is up to YOU to implement that
need in a way which does not affect everyone else who does not give a
damn about your imaginary problems.

similarly, if you and/or others wish to change default settings or
behaviours which have worked perfectly well for ages in debian then it
is up to YOU to demonstrate that change is needed and that there is no
other reasonable alternative.

if you fail to understand this again then i am afraid that i will have
to leave you in ignorance - i have no more time to waste on someone who
will not or can not understand something even when presented in simple,
unambiguous terms.

craig

--
craig sanders