Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 11:25:54AM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> > there's no need to set root's shell to sash, and it presents some
> > fairly obvious dangers. if someone wants to do it on their own
> > system, that's fine - but debian systems should NOT automatically
> > break just because a package has been installed.
>
> Well, after thinking about all what was written in this thread, I must
> agree with you. sash isn't required to be root's shell - it's enough
> if it is available and one can use it even if dynamics fail or in
> single mode (the bootmanager issue mentioned earlier in the thread).

cool. my goal in this thread is to see you and justin get the extras
that you want, but without breaking anything, and without forcing it on
those who don't want it.

i am, as justin suggested in another message, conservatively paranoid
when it comes to systems. i see no reason to make arbitrary changes
unless there is a certainty that it will not break anything - in
particular, upgrading or installing a package should not mysteriously
cause other things to break or behave differently.

craig

--
craig sanders