Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

* Raul Miller said:

> > too complicated for USERS - and they constitute the majority of audience,
> > whether we like it or not.
>
> Sure -- complex activities are hard to document.
And the more unexperienced the user is, the harder the activities become.

> > "If the system doesn't boot, if the usual shell prompt doesn't appear do
> > just that (assuming LILO is used):
> >
> >   1. on the LILO: prompt type "emergency" and tap ENTER
> >   2. system boots with a limited set of utilities and an emergency shell
> >      which you can use to diagnose the problem and file a bug report or
> >      plea for help."
>
> That's plausible -- provided there's also a ready reference on how to
> perform each of these actions.  [Doesn't have to be elaborate, in my
It should be in the initial README of the Debian distro, or, even better,
such a possibility should be announced on the initial install screen, just
after the license screen. It should do nothing more than tell the user where
to look for the emergency instructions and advising to print a short file
from the distribution media with detailed HOWTO.

> opinion, just orientation stuff... standard docs are all there, though
> perhaps not looking very nice in a dumb text viewer, and we should presume
And, from my experience, I know that most users don't read manuals... :((
And the BOFH+RTFM approach doesn't buy Debian new users.

> that anyone attempting to repair their system by hand (as opposed to
> reinstalling debian overtop the existing system) has something of an
> idea of what they're doing.]
Of course, we should make such an assumption, but also we must realize that
always there's somebody's first time...

marek