Re: Oracle, glibc, multiple build environments (was: Re: Server turned to sushi, please fix bash)

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 07:27:10PM -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:

> 	Hmm... that's funny cause I have Oracle 8.0.5.1.0 (Enterprise)
> install'd here on my Potato system with no problems... I did have to get
> the compat RPMs which I just ran through alien to produce DEBs... I've
> even tried the Oracle8i release on Potato but removed it due to the Java
> being so slow and Java being the only way to install it...

What's funny about that?  You seem to have repeated what I said, adding
that the libraries, compiler, etc. contained in the RPMs seem to work
correctly under Potato.

I consider having to install an old version of the C library, compiler and
associated utilities a problem, especially if they must be installed from
packages which do not comply with Debian filesystem policy (i.e., the FHS).
The RPMS contain glibc 2.0.7 and egcs 1.0.3, installed in
/usr/i386-glibc20-linux.

Oracle 8i lists glibc2.1 as a requirement, so it should work without
installing any additional libraries.  Thanks for the report.

--
 - Matt