Re: Corel/Debian Linux Installer

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

> How does putting /tmp on its own partition keep it from getting filled
> up? If anything, it will fill up faster if it has less than 100% of the
> available drive space assigned to it. This argument is a non-starter for
> the single-user desktop.

1. /tmp fragments a lot.
2. If /tmp is full and is on / with /var, linux crashes.
3. If /tmp is full, but a partition, nothing happens but a "filesystem
   full"

> > * If you have a workstation farm (as we do), it's nice to have a uniform
> > size /usr, or at least a known minimum size; that way we can ensure that
> [snip]
> > * If you can make /usr readonly (even if only effectively), then backups
> > are much faster and simpler.  We backup /var and sometimes / on many of
> > our workstations, and wouldn't want to include /usr and /tmp... if
> > you're using dump, you have to take the whole filesystem.
> [snip]
> > We actually create 5 partitions (+swap): /, /tmp, /var, /usr, and
> > /usr/cnoc (in addition to any local partitions used as home or local
>
> The rest of these are site policies and have no bearing on what debian
> should use as a default partitioning scheme.
>
> Mike Stone

I think policy states that / and /usr should readonly mountable, so to
fullfill that policy /var, /tmp and /home must be partitions. The
suggestion should be made to have them on another partition. The
benefits and drawbacks should be explained in the online help.

May the Source be with you.
                        Goswin