Re: I'd like to coordinate a major update of stable

Hi,

        [Sorry for the delay in this reply]

>>"Joey" == Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

 Joey> We continued talking about this and had an idea about the
 Joey> /usr/share/doc transition. I realize it's a bit late for these
 Joey> with the issue in the technical committe, but this is a bit
 Joey> different since it's effectively a non-technical
 Joey> compromise. The idea is this: In this new update to stable,
 Joey> include updated versions of dwww, doc-base, man, and whatever's
 Joey> necessary to make documentation located in /usr/share be easily
 Joey> accessable. Then if someone wants to install a potato package
 Joey> and see docs, we just tell them to upgrade to this version of
 Joey> stable first.

 Joey> I think I'm one of the major instigators of the whole /usr/share/doc
 Joey> concern, and while this idea isn't perfect for me, I think it's a workable
 Joey> compromise, and I would accept it.

        I have several technical reservations about this proposal.

        Firstly, it does not address the problem.

        I realize that people are having trouble unstanding exactly
 what the problem is that was presented (to which the symlink proposal
 was a solution). Since it appears that I have been less than limpid,
 I shall try and expand on the problem as I see it.

        The problem is not a major one. It has to do with the degree
 of frustration involved in readin the docs (merely changing the
 location of the docs is not really a problem -- one learns the new
 location quickly enough)

        I find that whenevver there are two locations to get
 documentation from (user visible locations, that is -- I don't really
 care where man gets my man pages from), then murphy's law states that
 the docs will be in the last place I try.

        Enough people seem to agree that that is a problem for the
 policy group to try to find a solution.

        I fail to see how Joey's solution addresses this issue.

        With the symlink proposal, people in potato look in /usr/doc, no
 matter what. In woody, they can look at both places, /usr/doc, and
 /usr/share/doc, and begin to transitions. Post woody, they look in
 /usr/share/doc. All through the transition, one can look in a single
 dir to get the docs about any package (the location changes, but at
 any given time I can select one dir and be done).

        ``Any other packages that use /usr/share/doc'' is a nebulous
 concept (did you know that emacs can have native man page display?),
 and we are sure to miss a number before the november freeze. The
 symlink proposal gives us a full release cycle to seek and upgrade
 any such functionality.

        Now, if this relese is going to be 2.2, this takes care of my
 next concern, which is:

        It requires a mini-upgrade before partially upgrading to
 potato. If there was no alternative, one could live with this, but
 this is not a requirement of the symlink proposal.

       Secondly, this requires that one upgrade to the undates --
 which means that the people who upgrade from CD's are going to be out
 in the cold (I am in touch with a number of people in India who uploy
 upgrade from CD's -- too low a bandwidth. There are people behind
 corporate firewalls that can't easily use apt-get because of company
 policy).

        Again this is not a major hassle -- but we are trying to make
 upgrades hassle free.

        manoj
--
 "An anthropologist at Tulane has just come back from a field trip to
 New Guinea with reports of a tribe so primitive that they have Tide