Re: rc?.d policy?

How about having more restricted pre-,postinst behaviour? At the moment a
script is run as root. In other words, it can do anything, break anything, do
anything the wrong way, etc. Wouldn't a .conf file that dpkg interprets be
better? And maybe also "preexec =" and "postexec =" options when the change is
first done, so as to not make any tasks impossible, and later when everything
is possible with the .conf method, lose those 2 options as well.

This would also make policy changes easier I believe.

Sarel Botha          |     Computer &           | +27 341 81341
(sjb@dundee.lia.net) |        Accounting        | BOX 2065, Dundee