What are these .dhelp files?

What are these .dhelp files that are in a number of the /usr/doc/*
and /usr/share/doc/ directories?

I noticed them as I was looking at packages that have both
/usr/doc/package and /usr/share/doc/package directories, and found
(amongst others) this to be the case for doc-base on my system (updated
to potato as of last week sometime).

However, /usr/doc/doc-base seems to be mostly empty, it just has two
.dhelp files.  dpkg doesn't know about them, so presumably they got left
behind at some stage which is why the directory wasn't removed?

$ locate /.dhelp | wc -l
     28

$ dpkg -S .dhelp | wc -l
      7

So there are 21 .dhelp files on my system that shouldn't be, right?
Won't this cause a pain in the butt when trying to get rid of /usr/doc ?

Please don't cc me.
Paul Slootman
--
home:   paul@wurtel.demon.nl    http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/