Re: Depenency Bugs in Debian Packages (long)

At 8 Aug 1999 17:31:51 -0000,
 <gecko@master.debian.org> wrote:

> Dependency check for the i386 architecture
>
>    This list was generated from the i386 Packages file,
>    dated: Thu Aug 5 19:08:24 1999.
>
>   Cannot satisfy with packages in main:

>      * semi-gnus: dependency semi1.12 | wemi1.12
>      * t-gnus: dependency semi1.12 | wemi1.12
>      * wl: dependency semi1.12 | wemi1.12 | tm

  semi1.12 1.12.1-1 and wemi1.12 1.12.1-1 are waiting in incoming.

>      * vflib2: recommendation watanabe-vfont

  watanabe-vfont was refused by copyright problem.

>   Cannot satisfy with optional packages:

>      * manpages-ja: dependency jgroff

  Hmm, manpages-ja has priority optional, and jgorff has priority extra
  because jgroff is alternative package for groff.
  While manpages-ja might not depend on jgroff,
  jgroff is necessary to be installed to browse manpages-ja.
  Without this dependency, groff will be installed, however,
  groff couldn't process manpages-ja properly, so that, IMHO,
  its dependency is easy way to install jgroff.

  I think, of course, jgroff functionality should be merged into groff,
  but it's not easy right now, because jgroff depends only on Japanese
  encoding, so other encoding for other languages could not handle properly.

  What is the best solution for now?

   - manpages-ja has priority extra,
     however, other manpages-* has priority optional

   - jgroff has priority optional,
     however, it should be priority extra by its definition, I think.
     (conflicting with groff)

>      * user-ja: recommendation locale-ja

  user-ja has priority optional, and locale-ja has priority extra.
  I think locale-ja could have priority optional, and this problem
  could be fixed.

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI