Re: Debian Xconfigurator?

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 10:12:33AM -0400, Marques Johansson wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
>
> > Neither do I, and I wish I could find some.  The formula for modelines that
> > actually come out looking right seems to be a jealously guarded secret.
> > What club do you have to join to get this information?
>
> The file is VideoModes.doc by Eric Raymond.

While this file is a wonderful source of information, it does not answer my
question.  It says:

> Q. The example you gave is not a standard screen size, can I use it?
>
> A. Why not?  There is NO reason whatsoever why you have to use 640x480,
> 800x600, or even 1024x768.

I don't think that's the whole truth.  I do use "non-standard" resolutions
all the time (who would imagine that in this day of empowerment through PC's
that most users have no choices between 1280 and 1600?); but I have to
battle weird-shaped, out-of-center images and moire patterns first.  When I
pick from the drop-down box on windows, or stick with the (even more
limited) modes offered by xf86config, I get a nice, clean rectangle in the
middle of my screen.  I just want to understand why.

Andrew